First  Prev  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next  Last
Post Reply Older Anime Fans?
181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
Might as well say you're too old for television. Anime isn't something that popped up just yesterday. It's alternative (in the West anyway) media that's now being popularized among youth.

I grew up on Captain Harlock, UFO Robot Grendizer, Sanjushi, etc... As far as I'm concerned I'm just into what I've always enjoyed.
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/8/13

SuperNovaMTL wrote:

Might as well say you're too old for television. Anime isn't something that popped up just yesterday. It's alternative (in the West anyway) media that's now being popularized among youth.

I grew up on Captain Harlock, UFO Robot Grendizer, Sanjushi, etc... As far as I'm concerned I'm just into what I've always enjoyed.


The French (as in France) were early adopters of anime. Probably because of similar traditions with 'Bandes Designee' (sp?)

Don't forget 'Catseye' it got a lot of airplay too.

Quebec 'Kid Shows' ROCKED

181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/8/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


SuperNovaMTL wrote:

Might as well say you're too old for television. Anime isn't something that popped up just yesterday. It's alternative (in the West anyway) media that's now being popularized among youth.

I grew up on Captain Harlock, UFO Robot Grendizer, Sanjushi, etc... As far as I'm concerned I'm just into what I've always enjoyed.


The French (as in France) were early adopters of anime. Probably because of similar traditions with 'Bandes Designee' (sp?)

Don't forget 'Catseye' it got a lot of airplay too.

Quebec 'Kid Shows' ROCKED



Indeed, all the stuff I used to watch (except Macross I believe) was all translated by Telefrance (if memory serves).

I'm guessing there was a little less selection on the Anglo side?
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/8/13

SuperNovaMTL wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


SuperNovaMTL wrote:

Might as well say you're too old for television. Anime isn't something that popped up just yesterday. It's alternative (in the West anyway) media that's now being popularized among youth.

I grew up on Captain Harlock, UFO Robot Grendizer, Sanjushi, etc... As far as I'm concerned I'm just into what I've always enjoyed.


The French (as in France) were early adopters of anime. Probably because of similar traditions with 'Bandes Designee' (sp?)

Don't forget 'Catseye' it got a lot of airplay too.

Quebec 'Kid Shows' ROCKED



Indeed, all the stuff I used to watch (except Macross I believe) was all translated by Telefrance (if memory serves).

I'm guessing there was a little less selection on the Anglo side?


Brady Bunch


181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/8/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Brady Bunch






67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/8/13


Yeah "Albatar le Corsair D'Espace" was a major step up. Didn't even know I was watching anime at the time. Same for Battle of the planets. Beneath the crap layered own by Sandy Frank I was trying to figure out the deeper story in the margins. That there was one I had no doubt. a persistence of details that just never got addressed in the dialogue.

16110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
Don't see the problem, I actually prefer talking to older Anime fans as they are the first ones that have seen the explosion of Anime throughout the years, plus its nice to have a mature response from older people as well
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/8/13

momokoseiya wrote:

Hey everyone! I have commented to Crunchyroll forum posts before but I don't think I have ever started a thread here! So. here goes!

I wanted to address something that have been wondering about for a while. How many older anime fans are there on this site? Whenever I look at the posts in the forums, I see a lot of younger people. It's nice to know that anime is becoming popular among the younger demographics. I have been an anime fan since adolescence. I grew up watching Sailor Moon, DBZ, Gundam Wing, etc. Sometimes I feel like of out of place commenting in the forums because of my age. Yes, I'm 29 years old and by mst people's standards I am too old to be watching anime. Anime is a passion of mine and I don't forsee myself giving it up in the near future.

I love this site and the people on it seem like really cool people. I just don't want to feel so lame when I post on the forums. I don't want people thinking "wow, she shouldn't even be on this site. She's ancient." I know it's an exaggeration but I do feel out of place here at times.

Any older anime fans want to chime in? Do you feel like "the old one out" at times?


At 29, you're still a 'pup'. Seriously though I don't have a problem with older anime fans. I don't think you can be 'Too Old' for anime.
As for what some 'young people' think don't worry about it. thing about youth is it's fleeting. Everything they say about us... will soon apply to them. and it will seem to happen in a heartbeat.


51097 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / South Saskatchewan
Online
Posted 1/8/13
one needs to reflect on a simple thought: Anime generates money, its a fact that the worlds wealth is controlled by the senoir demographic. They want the wealth, we the senoir of this trend have the wealth, our junoir demographic just can not compete with out wealth. I find it strange when Im told I am too old to be watching this kind of stuff, yet IF I put Tonari no Totoro on or Nausica of the Valley of the Wind or even Poyo on a Cliff by the Sea they happily watch with me and even enjoy it. In my opinion, you can never be too old, just to much of a stick in the mud. If you enjoy it, do it age is just a concept. And remember: you can not look dignified when you having fun.
325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
I'm 23 and a lot of the time I feel like I'm too old to be watching anime. I feel really immature at times and find myself thinking if I should just stop watching anime all together. But then I watch a couple episodes and promptly retract that statement. I consider myself a closet anime fan cause no one else in my personal life knows I watch and would be embarrassed if anyone found out. So hopefully no one will ever find out haha.
181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/8/13 , edited 1/8/13
God it must suck to live a life dominated by the judgment of the dim-witted mainstream.

Come on guys, live life the way you want to.
12977 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 20.0167° N, 155.6...
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
older yes but what about it
48163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / London, England
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
Hi, as an amateur Animator semi pro 3D modeller, I Love anime and all kinds of cartoons. No I don't feel old.
15010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
I've been watching anime since the early 90s, you are never too old to enjoy a good anime.
51097 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / South Saskatchewan
Online
Posted 1/8/13

Will-ful wrote:

I'm 23 and a lot of the time I feel like I'm too old to be watching anime. I feel really immature at times and find myself thinking if I should just stop watching anime all together. But then I watch a couple episodes and promptly retract that statement. I consider myself a closet anime fan cause no one else in my personal life knows I watch and would be embarrassed if anyone found out. So hopefully no one will ever find out haha.


I used to feel that way in highschool, some people just can not understand nor let themselves even try something different and so ridicule those of us that do. This has been happening since the dawn of mankind, anyone with a open mind and a willingness to try rather than not will always be singled out as strange, weird, immature etc.

I suggest you go to an Anime convention and you will find every age group represented, people from all walks of life, Ive seen doctors, lawyers and I know of at least one judge that is into anime and related subjects. Though im not much older than you, I can say at 23 your still very influenced by the "in crowd". You'll find yourself happyer after you learn that how others see you and judge you is not anywhere near as important as how you see and judge yourself. And if they cant be friends with you because your hobby, then you may be better off without them. A true friend will either not care or try to become involved in your hobby, and any partner (potential or current) will be the same.
First  Prev  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.